Politecnico di Milano

Technology, creativity and culture


[Procedures for non-EU citizens residing abroad]

This information is referred to the A.Y. 2015-2016.

Admissions to Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) programmes starting in October are open to undergraduates who by the end of August will have a recognized final diploma of secondary studies (gained after at least 12 years of schooling).

Please note

Students who hold a British or an American high school diploma must meet specific requirements explained in the following document (written in Italian) issued by the Ministry of Education.

Students holding an International Baccalaureate should check the following document (written in Italian) issued by the Ministry of Education to check if the institution where they have achieved their title is part of the list. If it isn’t, they should obtain documents 1 and 2 listed below.

Prepare your documents

In order to complete the enrolment procedures you need to prepare the following documents in the country where the educational system of the school issuing your diploma belongs to (for example: for a school with British educational system in Peruvian territory the authorities of reference are those of the UK). You will then consign the original documents upon official enrolment. Documents at point 1, 3 and 4 must be duly apostilled (only if the country where the diploma has been achieved is part of the Hague Convention abolishing requirement for legalization of foreign public documents).  Apostilles authenticate the seals and signatures of officials on public documents, so that they can be recognized in foreign countries that are parties of the Convention. Please view the list of the countries that have signed the Convention and the authority in charge of Apostille. If your country is not part of the list, documents at point 1, 3 and 4 must be legalized by the Italian Diplomatic representatives.

Standard documents


1. Final diploma of secondary studies (at least 12 years)

Accompanied by an official translation in Italian language.

2. “Declaration of value” (Dichiarazione di Valore)

Issued by the Italian Diplomatic Representative related to the high school degree. The Declaration of Value is a document, released by the Italian competent Authority  in the Country to which the educational system of your school refers, attesting the validity of your Diploma and in particular attesting you are entitled to enter University.

3. Certificate proving the completion of 1 or 2 years of academic studies or a post-secondary title

In case of countries where the educational system lasts only 11 or 10 years: confirming the examinations passed and translated into Italian if not issued by the university directly in English, French or Spanish.

4. Certificate attesting that the University entrance examination in the country of origin has been passed

If required by law (e.g. Vestibular for Brazil, Selectividad for Spain, Prova de Afericao o Prova Geral de Acesso ao Ensino Superior for Portugal, etc.). It is necessary for Chinese students to take the GAO KAO examination in order to apply.

5. Only for Laurea (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) courses held in English: a valid English language certificate

Students have to provide the certificate within their first year of enrolment.
The minimum requirements for English language proficiency are as follows:

TOEFL CBT ≥ 170 
TOEFL IBT ≥  59 
TOEFL PBT   ≥ 497 

 * Our TOEFL code is 9795 *   

TOEIC: 600 

Cambridge: FCE - C

Note: only English mother tongue students and those who can prove that English was the medium of instruction of their secondary studies are exempted from providing an English language certification. In this last case, students are required to provide an official document, issued by the school or the government, certifying that English was their medium of instruction.


  • In case of missing documentation, in accordance with the existing rules, Politecnico di Milano will revoke the enrolment even if the candidate has passed the admission test.
  • It’s not possible to ask for a programme change during the first year of enrolment.

Evaluation of a previous university career

Students who have applied for an evaluation of the previous career also need to submit this document after the enrolment:

  • an academic transcript certified by the university registrar’s office and legalized by the Italian Diplomatic Representative, confirming courses taken, grades received and the relation of credits given to number of hours for each course. Please note that this document will be accepted in Italian, English, French  or Spanish. Where the actual language is different, a legalized translation into Italian must be also  provided together with the original version.

Procedures for non-EU citizens residing abroad

Go to content

Main menu

Social networks